Thursday, March 20, 2008

Miss Independent

I do not know what most of my classmates who are currently doing their attachment learnt. For me, I gained skills on using software tools that I had never heard before, learnt how to use a fax machine and acquired many other knowledge of life in the working world. But most importantly, I have learnt to be independent.

Yesterday I knew I was already not feeling well when I left my office at 6pm. If it was in the past, I would have started panicking because I dislike the feeling of being sick. For once, I did not, and I traveled the usual route of 1hr 20mins to get home. Usually the walk from ibm to my bus stop would take me 10, maybe 15mins, but yesterday, the journey seemed to have taken me 2 hours. My legs felt like lead and I was so tired by the time I reached the bus stop. Well, as Jonathan knows, my bus always take forever to come in the evening and there I was, feeling unwell and sitting at the bus stop waiting for the bus to come. Did I call my parents and tell them that I am not feeling too good and ask them what I should do, causing them to worry about me? Nope, surprisingly I did not.

When I boarded the bus, it was very crowded, my legs were threatening to give, did I do anything and hope someone would give up his/her seat to me? No.. When there was a seat and the guy standing next to me asked me if I wanted to sit, I politely declined and offered the seat to him instead. One would think, I am already feeling so terrible, why don't I sit down and rest. It was because the guy had boarded ahead of me, and he looked tired too. As a commuter who travel during peak hours everyday, I know what it feels like to have to stand for most part of a long journey. However, after I got a seat, I felt worst. With the cool breeze of the air conditioner, one moment I was feeling warm, the other I was freezing and it made me feel worse. Did I do anything yet again? Nothing.. I beared with it all the way for 55mins. When I finally arrived home, instead of opening the door myself, I asked my dad to do so because I was left with no strength at all. Then I just kicked off my shoes, walked into my bedroom and collasped onto my bed.

I had never tried tolerating being unwell for such a long time in the past 19 years. By that time, my whole body felt like jelly and I had to lie motionless on my bed because I could not move a muscle. After resting for awhile, my mum brought me a cup of warm water to drink and what the heck, I vomitted. Man, I hate puking and luckily my mum managed to get some plastic bags to vomit in else I could not sleep on my bed last night. In the end, I did not eat my dinner at all and my mum had cooked many nice dishes! Sad. After that, I took a record breaking shower which lasted only 1min because I puked again halfway. After that, I rested all the way until 9pm when at last I felt my body start to get some feeling back and then I watched the channel 8 show, took a bite of the bread and drank a few sips of milk.

See what I mean! Recalling about it today makes me wonder how in the world did I manage not to succumb to temptation and take a cab home. Gee... In fact, I was not feeling well today and yet I still turn up for work and beared with it for so many hours until now. Oh well.

-penned by
Anais.yfy

No comments: